The South African National Space Agency (SANSA)
- The former Satellite Aplication Centre in Hartebeeshoek, now the Space Operations Directorate
- Earth observation Directorate. It is based in Pretoria and serves as the corporate office of SANSA
- Space Engineering, which is that latest addition to the Agency Program and also based in Pretoria
Earth Observation (EO)
Space for National Development week
During the week of 12 – 15 March, SANSA co-hosted the ‘Space for National Development Week’ (#SNDweek) with the Department of Science and Technology and the Department of Trade and Industry. This took place at the space agency’s operations in Hartebeeshoek.
The aim was to to bring together the South African space sector and its stakeholders to present and discuss legislation, decisions, information and continued inclusion of high resolution imagery in the national satellite sensor portfolio.
Due to other commitments, I was unable to attend, but judging from the buzz on social media, it was a huge success. Thank you Vaneshree and team for keeping me updated. The photo below is from the event courtesy of SANSA:
Other Space Agency news
SANSA is actively involved in many projects outside their core focus. Here are two recent examples of this:
- Floods disaster planning and awareness: together with the National Disaster Management Center (NDMC), SANSA provides awareness of flooding during heavy rains using satellite imagery.
- A platform for open innovation: In January SANSA, Airbus Defence and Space, Technology Innovation Agency (TIA), and The Innovation Hub Management Company (TIH), hosted a Wold Café networking event at the Tshimologong Innovation Precinct in Johannesburg.
Thank you for vising THE STEM BLOG SA
Please subscribe, share or simply look me up on any of these networks: