The human mind is powerful
Mind over matter is a phrase which says so much when you start considering what drives people to overcome obstacles against all odds. Lets take a look at the incredible human brain a little. (Side note: for those who didn’t notice – the feature image literally shows the mind OVER the matter, or maybe mind divided by matter)
DID YOU KNOW THAT THE EXPANSE OF THE MIND HAS NOT BEEN MEASURED! Yes that’s right, we have not found the limits of the human mind – isn’t that just MIND BLOWING!? We do not know how wide or far the mind stretches – we don’t even know how to measure it!
It is said that Albert Einstein (one of the most brilliant minds ever) used 10% of his brain’s capacity, while the average human only uses around 4% of our brain capacity! Don’t ask me how that was determined – I don’t know, do you know?
Facts about the human brain
There are many things about the human mind that we do not yet know, but here is what we do know:
- There are debates about the mind vs the brain (do your own research for find out more, I will focus the human MIND for the rest of this post)
- The typical brain comprises about 2% of the body’s total weight, but uses 20% of its total energy and oxygen intake
- Your brain is 73% water. It takes only 2% dehydration to affect your attention, memory and other cognitive skills.
- The brain is composed of three parts: the brain-stem, cerebellum, and cerebrum. The cerebrum is divided into four lobes: frontal, parietal, temporal, and occipital.
Some of these were extracted from “72 Amazing Human Brain Facts“
Consider this – knowledge is POTENTIAL power
It has been said “Knowledge is Power” – I have recently discovered that this is FALSE! Think about it for a second or two.
You know what you need to do to lose wait, be healthy and to be fit, but do you do it? You have the knowledge to be a healthier you – the power is in taking action and doing what you know you should do.
If you read some more of the posts on my blow, you may begin to know how some electronics work, or that STEM skills are important to develop to ensure future employment – but there is no power in just having the knowledge. You have to do something with the knowledge for it to be powerful.
While we are at it – YOU are powerful! If you don’t do anything with the potential energy, knowledge and capacity you have, nothing powerful will happen in your life!
Knowledge is POTENTIAL power – the APPLICATION of the knowledge you have is POWERFUL!
Facts about the human mind
The science of the human brain is one thing – and it is a fascinating topic by itself however, I’d like to focus on the power of the mind!
- The mind is divided into three main parts: the conscious mind, the subconscious mind (referred to as the preconcious by Sigmund Freud) and the unconscious mind
- The conscious mind is the part of the mind that we ‘think’ during our day to day life – our mental process that we are aware of. It is the tip of the iceberg
- The subconscious mind contain thoughts and feelings, but we are unaware of them until it grabs the attention of the conscious mind.
- The unconscious mind is not directly accessible by the conscious mind and according to Freud, this is the primary source of human behavior. This is the part of the mind where past experiences (our memories) are stored.
- It is possible to train (or program) your mind.
- Your belief system is not cast in stone – you can alter your self-beliefs (or self-doubt if you will)
You are sitting on a Gold MIND
If you would just get up and apply your mind – you could achieve amazing things! People all over the world with many challenging circumstances have achieved beyond anything anyone gave them a chance to achieve. How many times have you heard people say: “So and so have overcome against all odds”?
Before Oprah Winfrey was a media mogul, her family was so poor that she wore potato sacks. She faced many other difficulties in her life. Read the full story on Business Insider.
Nick Vujicic was born without legs or arms, yet he is well know as an international motivational speaker. Go see his wesbite at Life Without Limits.
David Goggins is referred to the toughest man on the planet and he talks a lot about how to overcome difficulty with your mind and shear determination (being driven) long after your body has failed you. Here is a link to a clip of him in an interview on ‘Impact Theory’. WARNING: OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE: David Goggins | DRIVEN on YouTube
Overcome the obstacles in your own life
Whatever difficulties your are facing, or have faced in the past – the difference between overcoming those difficulties or becoming a victim to those difficulties is you belief system – your ability to apply your mind to the matter at hand. Overcoming is a skill you develop and become better at the more you do it.
It is similar to patience – you are born with the POTENTIAL to be patient, but you practice it and learn to be patient.
You are one of a kind – there is only one like you and there is an space in the world which you are meant to be fulfilling!
IT WILL REQUIRE WORK!
IT WILL NOT BE EASY!
ONLY YOU HOLD THE KEY – THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME THAN NOW TO START THE JOURNEY TO MAKING A DIFFERENCE! TAKE SMALL STEPS, BUT MAKE THE JOURNEY!
Use your mind – it is a wonderful asset!
Thank you for visiting The STEM Blog of South Africa
Please share, comment, subscribe or simply look me up on social media (links at the top of this page)